Universal Robots wins the DenmarkBridge Award 2018
Today, Universal Robots received the prestigious DenmarkBridge Award. The Award was presented by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik at the Annual Meeting of The Danish Growth Fund.
The DenmarkBridge Award celebrates companies, organizations or individuals who have shown an ability to think bigger and aim for the unreachable – those with a moonshot-mentality. This mindset characterizes Universal Robots.
“Here we have the story about three friends from university, who started up a company with the purpose of making robot technology available for small and medium-sized businesses. Today, 15 years later, Universal Robots is a world leader within cobots (robots working together with humans). Universal Robots also plays an important role in creating a robot cluster in Funen. This cluster has generated more than 3000 jobs. Universal Robots wins the DenmarkBridge Award 2018 because they have shown a consistent perseverance and high ambitions, leading them to the success, they are today, “says Christian Motzfeldt, chairman of DenmarkBridge.
Universal Robots is grateful for receiving the Award:
”It is a great honor for Universal Robots to receive the DenmarkBridge Award 2018. We were also nominated last year, but now we finally won! It is a symbol of the journey we have been on, and the goals we have reached; to build up a global company and being instrumental in creating the growing robot cluster in Odense. Reaching these two goals makes us very proud, “says Esben Østergaard, CTO and founder of Universal Robots.
The competition for the Award has been tough, and among the many nominees, four went on to the final. Besides Universal Robots, the finalists are Netcompany, Joe & The Juice and Muuto.
The following criteria were applied in selecting the winner:
- Ambition. The winner has demonstrated or leveraged a moonshot mindset with the capacity for changing the way we think and behave.
- Innovation and technology. The winner has demonstrated or leveraged the use of innovation, entrepreneurship and new technology.
- Commercial impact. The winner has demonstrated – or enabled – a substantial commercial impact.
- Network effect. The winner has connected people and/or organizations between the US and Denmark.
DenmarkBridge is founded by Danske Bank, LEGO, A.P. Møller-Mærsk, Novo Nordisk, DI and the Danish Growth Fund. His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik is the patron of DenmarkBridge. The association aims at bridging the gap between Danish companies and Silicon Valley, one of the world’s primary hotspots for technological innovations, by creating a community consisting of high-level strategic networking and knowledge sharing among like-minded business partners.
The Jury consists of the members of the board of DenmarkBridge – see more in the fact box below.
Facts about the jury and DenmarkBridge
DenmarkBridge was founded by private businesses in cooperation with the Ministry of Industry, Business and Financial Affairs of Denmark, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark and Ministry of Higher Education and Science of Denmark.
The Board of DenmarkBridge consists of:
- Christian Motzfeldt, Director, The Danish Growth Fund, Chairman DenmarkBridge
- Ole Andersen, Chairman, Danske Bank
- Jacob Aqraou, Investor and former Sr. Vice President, eBay
- Scott Bonham, Investor and former Co-Chair of C100
- Thomas Bustrup, Director, Confederation of Danish Industry
- Lars Dalgaard, Entrepreneur, founder and former CEO of SuccessFactors
- Carl Erik Kjærsgaard, Founder and CEO, Blackwood Seven
- Carl Bilbo, Vice President, Novo Nordisk
The Danish Growth Fund is the Secretariat of DenmarkBridge.
More information is available on www.denmarkbridge.com